Job: Engineering Intern
Position type: Permanent, Less than 40 Hours per week
Starting salary: $16-20 per hour, depending on experience
The Engineering Intern will be assisting in the distribution side of the utility. This position will be working closely with the Distribution Engineer and the Capital Projects Manager in planning for the continued build out of the company. IGU is in a period of rapid expansion and needs support with GIS mapping, new installation design, quality assurance, utility locating, procurement, and PHMSA compliance. This can be an excellent opportunity for engineering student to gain pipeline experience while staying in the Fairbanks area!
- Assisting the Distribution Engineer in updating GIS maps to include new installations and planned installations.
- Performing site visits to new projects to verify field conditions and measurements to assist in cost evaluations and planning. Subsequently modifying plan drawings as needed.
- Assessing 811-Dig requests and dispatching to gas operators.
- Collaborating with the Project Manager to evaluate bids and ordering need to assist in the procurement process.
- Monitoring installation crews to ensure compliance with applicable standard operating procedures and PHMSA guidelines.
- Auditing location information to ensure all reportable information is accessible.
- Evaluate and draft permit applications as needed for new pipeline installation. Applications would entail completing plan drawings, permit applications, traffic control plans, and responding to permitting questions.
- Conducting site surveys for new service line installations and completing plan drawings and sizing of line components.
- Be able to conduct line patrols and leakage surveys as needed to support operations and map the results.
- Actively pursuing a degree in Mechanical, Petroleum, or Civil Engineering.
- Experience in CAD and GIS is preferred but not required
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Required to pass a background check and drug screening.
- Pass selected initial training and qualification testing.
The IGU is a public corporation whose mission is to provide low cost, clean burning, natural gas to the largest number of customers in the FNSB as possible, as soon as possible. IGU has more than 1,400 customers to date and has big plans to expand the customer base in the Fairbanks and North Pole areas.
Please submit a cover letter and a resume to email@example.com