Interior Gas Utility
Has the following position available:
Director of Operations
IGU is seeking a results-driven Director of Operations to oversee and lead our Engineering, Operations, and Project Management departments. This critical role will be responsible for ensuring the safe and efficient operation of IGU’s LNG plant, LNG storage and vaporization facilities, and distribution systems in Fairbanks and North Pole while ensuring code compliance and fostering productive relationships with regulatory agencies, suppliers, contractors, and customers.
IGU was formed as a community answer to an energy challenge of high heating costs and poor air quality by building a natural gas utility to bring natural gas to the community at an affordable price. The natural gas utility was established in 2012 and is governed by a seven member Board of Directors.
IGU’s vision is to provide, throughout the Fairbanks North Star Borough, the lowest cost gas to the largest number of people safely, economically, and as quickly as possible. IGU seeks an individual who will focus on facilitating public and private partnerships and share in the passion and dedication of this community vision.
The Director of Operations is one of three senior management positions, reporting to the General Manager.
- Leadership and Strategy:
- Develop and execute strategic plans to ensure the reliable and cost-effective operation of IGU’s natural gas facilities.
- Provide visionary leadership to the Engineering, Operations, and Project Management departments to achieve organizational goals and objectives.
- Foster a culture of safety, collaboration, and continuous improvement within the organization.
- Operational Oversight and Safety:
- Ensure safe operations always through effective management of personnel and resources, with a primary focus on accident prevention.
- Establish and maintain cooperative, productive relationships with permitting agencies, suppliers, contractors, and customers.
- Monitor and manage operational budgets and financial performance while prioritizing safety.
- Be available for emergency response and direct activities related to responding to LNG and natural gas emergencies.
- Engineering Excellence, Regulatory Compliance, and Document Management:
- Oversee the Engineering department to design and implement expansions and improvements to IGU’s infrastructure for increased coverage area, efficiency and capacity.
- Become fully educated regarding current and pending regulations regarding all operations, including a full understanding of all PHMSA, OSHA, DOT, EPA, and all other applicable regulations. Ensure IGU is fully compliant at all times.
- Plan, prepare, and edit Standard Operating Procedures, Safety Plans, Document Standards, Construction Standards, and other documents as required.
- Project Management and Strategic Planning:
- Lead the Project Management department in planning and executing capital projects related to IGU’s natural gas facilities, including expansion projects.
- Participate in strategic planning related to the expansion of the customer base and natural gas use in the Fairbanks North Star Borough.
- Reporting and Communication:
- Communicate regularly and effectively with the General Manager and prepare operating reports encompassing safety performance, system reliability, and other important operational matrices.
- Report monthly to the Board of Directors on operating results and progress on pertinent projects.
- Budget Management:
- Prepare annual and long-term capital and operating budgets and manage personnel and resources to meet budget goals.
Critical Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of LNG and gas distribution construction, operations, transmission, and distribution standards, procedures, and regulations.
- Proven leadership with the ability to manage personnel and resources efficiently and safely.
- Ability to interact with various individuals and organizations and develop professional and positive working relationships.
- Skills in writing technical documents, including procedures and manuals.
- Ability to proactively manage maintenance programs to ensure maximum system reliability.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple operations and projects simultaneously.
- Ability to respond to emergencies, taking a command role and coordinating company personnel, emergency responders, and communicating effectively with all.
- Ability to foster growth of operational personnel through training, evaluation, timely feedback, and clear direction.
- Knowledge of Alaska’s energy landscape is a plus.
- Strong knowledge base regarding regulations such as PHMSA, OSHA, DOT, and EPA preferred.
- Preference for experience with operating integrated utility systems and comparable logistics.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Business, or a related field (Master’s degree preferred).
- A minimum of 5 years of senior leadership experience in the natural gas or similar industry highly preferred.
- Increasingly progressive leadership in the utility engineering or operation field preferred.
- Strong knowledge of industrial plant operations, natural gas or other utility distribution systems, and regulatory compliance preferred.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills.
Physical Requirements and Hazards:
- The employee must frequently sit and stand; use hands or fingers; handle or feel; talk and hear.
- Occasionally required to reach with hands and arms and lift up to 25 pounds.
- Required to be available for emergency response and direct activities related to responding to LNG and natural gas emergencies.
- Frequent travel within the State of Alaska is required.
- Passing a background check and drug screening is required.
Technology, Equipment, Systems, and Tools:
- Requires advanced skills in word processing, presentation software, and spreadsheets.
- Basic skills with email and general office equipment.
- Required understanding of SCADA, PLC, and HMI interfaces and programming.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should submit their resume and a cover letter outlining their qualifications and relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Director of Operations Application – IGU” in the subject line.
IGU intends to recruit, employ, and retain the most qualified workforce possible. IGU is committed to equal employment opportunity for all qualified persons without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, marital status, changes in marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, parenthood, age, or status as a disabled veteran or veteran of the Vietnam era. Your employment application is not confidential. IGU is governed by the Public Records Act and your entire employment application is thus subject to public disclosure upon request.